Important Things You Should Know Before Buying High Visibility Clothing
High Visibility clothing allows workers to be visible in low light & dark conditions. Mostly, workers operating vehicles, working for traffic control, road construction, and railroad need to wear high visibility clothing to alert other people about their presence. This protective apparel plays a major role in maintaining the safety of the worker and preventing accidents.
High visibility clothing typically includes coveralls, pants, vests, jackets, gloves, headwear and more. These clothes are usually in fluorescent colors like yellow, green, orange, and red which can stand out in the work environment.
In this article, we will talk about the important things you should know before buying high visibility clothing.
Who Uses High Visibility Clothing?
Workers working in industries like construction, maintenance, utility, and emergency service are often exposed to hazards which require them to be seen by other individuals working around them. For example, a crane operator needs to see where his/her co-workers are to avoid an accident. Highway maintenance work needs to be seen by the people driving on the road alongside them. This is where high visibility clothing plays a major role. These high-vis clothing are also used for recreational activities. Roadrunners & cyclists need to wear reflective vests & fluorescent shirts or shorts to make themselves visible by oncoming traffic.
Benefits of High Visibility Clothing
- Makes workers highly visible– Hi-vis clothing differentiates wearers from the environment by making them highly visible to people around them. This protects workers from getting injured by oncoming traffic.
- Promote a safe environment– Providing a safe working environment for employees must be the top priority for any business firm. The productivity of a worker tends to increase when they feel safe at the job site. Thus, investing in high visibility clothing would benefit any business tremendously.
- Reduces risk of an accident– Most of the workplace accidents occur because of the incapability of the drivers to clearly see the onsite workers. Hi-vis clothing provides great visibility to vehicle operators, which automatically decreases the chances of accidents.
Factors to Consider Before Buying High Visibility Clothing
Buying the best & most suitable safety apparel is very important. One should not compromise on the quality of these safety wears. Below are some of the most significant factor that you must consider before purchasing hi-vis clothes.
Size & coverage
- Large & bright clothes are often more visible.
- For maximum visibility, use full-body coverage clothes.
- Do not wear other garments on these Hi-vis clothes.
- The garments should fit well to the worker for increased safety & best performance.
- These clothing must be comfortable to wear, and material should not feel rough on the skin.
- Make sure the clothing doesn’t have any sharp edges or projections which can cause excessive irritation.
- Hi-vis clothing must have a waist-level horizontal stripe or belt.
- The front part should have two vertical stripes passing over the shoulder to the waist.
- On the back, there should be symmetric X.
- To enhance the visibility of the worker’s body in motion, contrast stripes on arms & legs are helpful.
- The background material of these clothing must be in a bright color because only then it will provide high visibility.
- Bright colors provide more visibility in daylight conditions than dull colors.
- Make sure you choose fluorescent colors if you’re working in low light conditions.
- Retro-reflective clothing is often considered the best for working in dark conditions. Fluorescent materials are typically ineffective at night.
It is vital to ensure that you purchase high-quality, high-visibility clothing for your workers. Also, wear HV clothes that are specific for the job site and the type of work. This will enhance safety and productivity.
A PROFESSIONAL CREW DESERVES PROFESSIONAL WORKWEAR
A new line of highly durable, functional, high-visibility (hi-vis) workwear is hitting the market. Workwear manufacturer Blaklader has made its name using quality fabrics and skilled craftsmanship to produce long-lasting efficient workwear for all types of tradesmen. Now, they’re stepping into the realm of hi-vis clothing with shorts, pants, jackets and vests that meet American National Standards Institute (ANSI) 107 requirements for mining, airlines, government construction, road construction and more.
Because ANSI 107 approved workwear is such a common requirement, purchasing officers commonly buy cheaper clothing items to cut the expense. But Blaklader is shedding new light on the workwear budget: Higher quality fabrics and reflective tape last longer and look better than discount alternatives. Blaklader garments are designed to last longer and withstand more washes than the average hi-vis garment. Toward the end the lifecycle, other garments look faded and dark, leading to safety concerns and an unprofessional appearance. Blaklader’s workwear features high-quality fabrics and 3M® reflective tape that stand out in a crowd and keep crews safe for the long haul.
The hi-vis line consists of workpants, shorts, vests and jackets that all meet various ANSI 107 classes. Even the industry-leading X1600 workpants are available in hi-vis. The ANSI 107 Class 1 compliant pants use CORDURA® leg shields that extend up to the thigh and down to the shin for added jobsite protection. CORDURA is a highly durable fabric made by Invista and commonly used in tactical gear and outdoor sports clothing.
In all Blaklader pants, kneepad inserts fit under CORDUA on the leg. Other jobsite functionality includes exterior utility pockets for carrying fasteners and tools without a tool belt and triple-stitched seams that are guaranteed for the life of the garment. If seams tear, Blaklader will replace the garment free of charge.
Jackets are ANSI Class 3 and wind and waterproof, built with multiple layers for warmth, breathability and protection. Both the winter jacket and the shell jacket include chest pockets with waterproof zippers and convenient arm pockets.
Blaklader also offers shorts and vests that meet ANSI class 2 with durable fabric blends that stand up to the toughest conditions.
For more information on Blakalder’s hi-vis line go to https://workwear-usa.com/product-category/high-vis/.