Tag: HI Vis Clothing
Various work conditions require workers to wear high visibility clothing. Maybe you’ve just got a new job that requires you to wear high visibility clothing. Whatever the case is, you suddenly have reason to be curious & ask — what exactly is high visibility workwear clothing?
In this article, we will discuss the most frequently asked questions about high visibility workwear clothing.
What is Hi-Vis?
Hi-Vis is a term used for high visibility referring to the clothing that has reflective properties & is made up of fluorescent materials & colors, which makes them easily noticeable from any background. Hi-vis clothing is typically worn by workers working at construction sites, on roadways & other industrial sites to avoid incidents that involve the use of large vehicles or equipment.
What is the difference between Class 2 & Class 3 Hi-Vis safety vests?
Class Hi-Vis vests are for workers working in heavier traffic where driver’s visibility is poor due to weather. A minimum of 201 sq inches of reflective tape, which is 2 inches in diameter, is required for a Class 2 Hi-Vis safety vest. Reflective strips should be over the shoulders & round in the middle with horizontal stripes. If we talk about the Class 3 vests, they are for high traffic incidents & often first or emergency responders. When you’re working in a condition where traffic is over 50 miles per hour, you will need a Class 3 Hi-Vis vest with a minimum of 310 sq inches of reflective tape, which is 2 inches thick. Class 3 Hi-Vis safety vest also provides more arm & leg visibility coverage.
What are the Benefits of Hi-Vis Clothes?
There are many benefits of Hi-Vis safety clothing, some of them are:
They make employees highly visible: Hi-Vis clothing differentiates wearers from the environment & gives them more opportunity to see them. This protects workers from oncoming traffic.
They promote a safe environment: Nowadays, providing a safe work environment should be the priority of any business firm. When a worker feels safe at their workplace, they tend to be more productive. Investing in Hi-Vis workwear clothing would benefit any business tremendously.
They reduce the risk of an accident: Most workplace accidents occur because of the incapability of drivers to properly see the onsite workers due to improper lighting & similar reasons. Hi-Vis clothing provides great visibility to vehicle operators. Thus, the chances of accidents decrease automatically.
Other than the transportation industry, Hi-Vis clothing is used by construction workers, emergency service providers, school crossing guards, parking lot attendants, utility workers, warehouse workers, shipyard workers & many more.
What should you keep in mind while using Hi-Vis Safety Clothing?
Those who wear Hi-Vis safety clothing at work must know the following points:
- Fluorescent clothes are most appropriate for dark conditions
- For maximum visibility, use full-body coverage clothes
- To enhance the visibility of the wearer in motion, using contrast stripes on arms & legs will be helpful
- Don’t wear any other garments on these Hi-Vis clothes
- Wear Hi-Vis clothes that are specific for your work site & the type of work.
How to take care of Hi-Vis Clothing?
- It is always better to wash them inside out in cold water with similar colors. This helps to preserve the reflective material on the outside. Washing them with a reflective side outside can cause the reflective tape to wear out more easily, leading to fading & eventual tears in the material.
- Hi-Vis safety vests are a bit different. The mesh material of this apparel can wear out in the washer, so it is better to soak them in neutral laundry detergent dissolved in cold water. Let your vest stand in the dissolved detergent for about half an hour. This will help stains & other particularly soiled spots to brush out.
- Remember, if you are not seen, you are not safe! That’s why it is important to keep replacing your hi-vis clothing regularly. If your apparel isn’t visible from 1,000 feet away at any time of the day or night, it’s time to replace it!
- When worn daily, most Hi-Vis clothing will last for about six months before becoming ineffective. When worn less often than that, these clothing items can last up to one year.
We hope this information will help you make an educated choice when it comes to Hi-Vis clothing!
High-visibility (Hi-Vis) clothing is the most common type of personal protection equipment (PPE) that is used for a wide range of roles. This safety clothing has reflective properties & is made up of fluorescent materials & colors, making them easily noticeable from any background. As the popularity of high visibility clothing rises, so does some people’s mocking of health & safety ‘gone mad.’ However, this topic is not about making a fashion statement. For many reasons, in so many industries, this type of workwear clothing is of great importance.
In this article, we will see why Hi-Vis Clothing is of great importance but before that, let’s take a quick look at the three main components of Hi-Vis clothing.
Main Components of Hi-Vis Clothing
There are usually three main components:
- Fluorescent material– This especially boosts visibility during the daylight hours but can also improve visibility at night.
- Reflective stripes– They are designed for visibility during the darker hours; reflective stripes typically require a light source to work & create retro-reflection. These are essential for those working at night.
- Contrast material– This is a darker-colored part of the garment that is less sensitive to dirt than the fluorescent material & reflective strips, without which the functionality of some hi-vis clothing would diminish—the areas covered with the contrast fabric typically where the dirt is most likely to build up.
Why is Hi-Vis Clothing Important?
The main purpose for wearing hi-vis workwear clothing is the safety it provides to its wearers. This safety clothing is proven to prevent accidents & fatalities in a potentially dangerous environment, such as construction & industrial areas, where there are large vehicles moving around. This is exactly where the legal requirements come in.
The most significant reason for wearing HI-VIS workwear apart from safety is that it is a legal requirement for most industries. Regulating authority states that safety workwear must be conspicuous in form & reflective in nature.
Hi-Vis clothing sends a message to the world not just about the employees within a company but also about the organization. It portrays that they are professional, reliable, and respectful of the rules & safety standards of their employees. Therefore, people are more likely to trust a company that fully equips its staff with all the necessary workwear.
An especially significant note for workers working in larger companies having a big workforce, or in areas where there might be a mixture of people from different sectors, or when they are working within settings where the general public are present. Hi Vis clothing helps to identify staff & authorized personnel at any location. This enables the public & any outside visitors to identify staff members that can be important at goods inwards or security gates. Moreover, it can also create a sense of unity within the team & broadly promote the company’s identity, where hi-vis vests and jackets should be worn, at the very least.
People working in jobs that require high visibility solutions come rain or shine. For cold weather, they need to wear hi-vis jackets that give them confidence that they will be fully visible & warm; thus, they can focus better on the job at hand. Additionally, there are also hi-vis waterproofs, including both jackets & trousers, that prevent workers from getting wet during rains.
Contact for Best Quality High Visibility Clothing
If you’re looking for the best quality high visibility clothing or have any further questions on the hi-visibility clothing range, please get in touch with Workwear USA right now!