Tag: hi vis clothes
Safety must be the topmost priority when it comes to working in an environment where you need to deal with moving traffic, machinery, or heavy/risky equipment. Risky jobs such as Construction, Roadwork, Pedestrian Control, and Warehousing typically requires employees to wear high-visibility (hi vis) clothing to ensure their visibility to others present on those premises. The aim of hi vis clothing is to avoid terrible accidents that unfortunately are quite possible!
The correct use of hi vis clothing is relatively simple, and it is a reasonable precaution to put into effect. In addition to this, it plays a major role in maintaining safety & preventing accidents. Read on to understand the importance of wearing hi vis clothing in the workplace.
Reduces the risk of accidents & fatalities
Hi vis workwear clothing significantly reduces the risk of accidents and fatalities in a busy work environment. At busy work locations such as vehicular traffic, construction areas, marshalling yards, and industrial premises, hi vis workwear is required as per Health and Safety regulations. Similarly, in large storage aisles & warehouses, forklifts can be relatively silent if their warning horns are momentarily not in operation. In such type of environment or when working near entrance & exit areas of that premises, hi vis vests or hi vis work jackets are required as a minimum safety measure.
Essential in traffic management roles
Depending on the ambient lighting & any electrical illumination, full-body hi-vis workwear is necessary so that the drivers of approaching vehicles are able to see the wearer more easily. This is especially important in traffic management roles; the reflective trousers & jackets here are much more noticeable and, therefore, they increase the margin of safety. Probably the most effective choice of hi vis garment color is fluorescent or Day-Glo yellow for a traffic management role. However, it is important to consider the contrast of the wearer against any background for safety where there’s less than optimal lighting. Extra reflective strips on some types of hi vis waistcoat & trousers work as an additional bright feature for such jobs.
Useful for people other than workers
Not just employees, but wearing brightly colored reflective over jackets or waistcoats are also important for site visitors to maintain visibility and safety. Lightweight options can be considered for summer use, while thicker & heavier hi-vis clothing with thermal insulation is clearly suitable for winter temperatures. Hi-vis clothing or jackets are also suggested for motorcycle couriers as they help to prevent accidents & certain life-threatening injuries.
Brings uniformity of appearance
In addition to the safety benefits that hi vis clothing provides, it can also be used for identifying staff & authorized personnel in any given location – particularly where access is controlled or restricted for safety or security reasons. This uniformity of appearance provided by hi vis clothing makes it easier for approaching visitors to identify company employees at goods inwards or security gates. Also, it fosters a team spirit in the employees and helps in increases awareness of a company’s presence by promoting a visible corporate identity.
High Visibility clothing allows workers to be visible in low light & dark conditions. Mostly, workers operating vehicles, working for traffic control, road construction, and railroad need to wear high visibility clothing to alert other people about their presence. This protective apparel plays a major role in maintaining the safety of the worker and preventing accidents.
High visibility clothing typically includes coveralls, pants, vests, jackets, gloves, headwear and more. These clothes are usually in fluorescent colors like yellow, green, orange, and red which can stand out in the work environment.
In this article, we will talk about the important things you should know before buying high visibility clothing.
Who Uses High Visibility Clothing?
Workers working in industries like construction, maintenance, utility, and emergency service are often exposed to hazards which require them to be seen by other individuals working around them. For example, a crane operator needs to see where his/her co-workers are to avoid an accident. Highway maintenance work needs to be seen by the people driving on the road alongside them. This is where high visibility clothing plays a major role. These high-vis clothing are also used for recreational activities. Roadrunners & cyclists need to wear reflective vests & fluorescent shirts or shorts to make themselves visible by oncoming traffic.
Benefits of High Visibility Clothing
- Makes workers highly visible– Hi-vis clothing differentiates wearers from the environment by making them highly visible to people around them. This protects workers from getting injured by oncoming traffic.
- Promote a safe environment– Providing a safe working environment for employees must be the top priority for any business firm. The productivity of a worker tends to increase when they feel safe at the job site. Thus, investing in high visibility clothing would benefit any business tremendously.
- Reduces risk of an accident– Most of the workplace accidents occur because of the incapability of the drivers to clearly see the onsite workers. Hi-vis clothing provides great visibility to vehicle operators, which automatically decreases the chances of accidents.
Factors to Consider Before Buying High Visibility Clothing
Buying the best & most suitable safety apparel is very important. One should not compromise on the quality of these safety wears. Below are some of the most significant factor that you must consider before purchasing hi-vis clothes.
Size & coverage
- Large & bright clothes are often more visible.
- For maximum visibility, use full-body coverage clothes.
- Do not wear other garments on these Hi-vis clothes.
- The garments should fit well to the worker for increased safety & best performance.
- These clothing must be comfortable to wear, and material should not feel rough on the skin.
- Make sure the clothing doesn’t have any sharp edges or projections which can cause excessive irritation.
- Hi-vis clothing must have a waist-level horizontal stripe or belt.
- The front part should have two vertical stripes passing over the shoulder to the waist.
- On the back, there should be symmetric X.
- To enhance the visibility of the worker’s body in motion, contrast stripes on arms & legs are helpful.
- The background material of these clothing must be in a bright color because only then it will provide high visibility.
- Bright colors provide more visibility in daylight conditions than dull colors.
- Make sure you choose fluorescent colors if you’re working in low light conditions.
- Retro-reflective clothing is often considered the best for working in dark conditions. Fluorescent materials are typically ineffective at night.
It is vital to ensure that you purchase high-quality, high-visibility clothing for your workers. Also, wear HV clothes that are specific for the job site and the type of work. This will enhance safety and productivity.
Employees’ safety should always be the top priority for any business. The use of high-visibility clothing plays an important in decreasing the possibility of injuries, the. High visibility vest allows workers to be seen in low-light conditions where the risk of getting injured is high.
High visibility vests come in various reflective & fluorescent bright colors specifically to be used during the day & at night. It is vital to choose the appropriate hi vis clothing that best suits the job environment and work conditions.
- Reflective vests are best for use in low light levels, i.e., they are best suited for night time work environments.
- Fluorescent vests are better suited for bright & daytime work environments.
In this article, we will see the benefits these hi vis vests provide and the components of high visibility clothing design which ensures worker’s safety.
Benefits of Hi-Vis Vest
- Ensure employees remain visible at all times– Hi vis vest makes it easier for your employees to be visible to others at the work station by making their regular clothing stand out from the background.
- Enables drivers to see workers– In roadside construction site or other areas where there is vehicle traffic, wearing the right high visibility vest reduces the risks of workers getting injured by oncoming traffic.
- Creates a safer working environment- Your employees tend to feel safer when they have access to high visibility clothing. This increased safety translates into increased productivity & better employee morale.
- Reduced likelihood of accidents- Accidents usually occurs due to incapability of the drivers to clearly see the onsite workers. This risk is reduced significantly by using the right hi vis vest as it provides great visibility to the vehicle operators.
Components of High-Visibility Design
High visibility vest is designed to be easily spotted. The human eye best responds to objects that are bright, large & moving. Because of this, hi vis vest has become important when it comes to workplace safety.
Importance of Color
These vest come in bright, attention-grabbing colors such as fluorescent yellow-green, orange-red, and red. These hi vis vests have strips of reflective material colored with white or silver. This material is very useful for workers working during night hours and in areas with low-visibility lighting. One of the most significant uses of high-visibility vests is it makes it easier for drivers to spot a worker on the road in construction zones. The location & configuration of the reflective material enables a person to know which way the wearer is standing – facing them, or with their back toward them. The reflective material typically provides 360-degree visibility and has horizontal gaps of 50mm or less.
The material of hi vis vests is very light in weight and easy for workers to maneuver in. These vests are typically made from the web or net-like mesh material. Mesh material is used because it adds a minimal amount of weight to a person and dries out easily when wet.
Other Customizable Safety Options
Hi vis vests also come in a variety of options which makes them more customizable. Depending upon the specific application, these vests can have a varying number of pockets & closures. These pockets can be both inside & out and can be designed for different purposes, such as holding cellphones, tablets, and drawings/blueprints. The closures on hi vis vests range from three different materials which include Velcro, zippers and breakaway designs.
Whether you’re working in an office or on a roadway, safety should be the topmost priority. Make sure to check your surroundings for any hazards which can harm you or others. Making sure to take all precautions in order to ensure the safety of employees; this will not just keep you safe but will also make a happier and better workplace.