Month: October 2020
High Visibility clothing allows workers to be visible in low light & dark conditions. Mostly, workers operating vehicles, working for traffic control, road construction, and railroad need to wear high visibility clothing to alert other people about their presence. This protective apparel plays a major role in maintaining the safety of the worker and preventing accidents.
High visibility clothing typically includes coveralls, pants, vests, jackets, gloves, headwear and more. These clothes are usually in fluorescent colors like yellow, green, orange, and red which can stand out in the work environment.
In this article, we will talk about the important things you should know before buying high visibility clothing.
Who Uses High Visibility Clothing?
Workers working in industries like construction, maintenance, utility, and emergency service are often exposed to hazards which require them to be seen by other individuals working around them. For example, a crane operator needs to see where his/her co-workers are to avoid an accident. Highway maintenance work needs to be seen by the people driving on the road alongside them. This is where high visibility clothing plays a major role. These high-vis clothing are also used for recreational activities. Roadrunners & cyclists need to wear reflective vests & fluorescent shirts or shorts to make themselves visible by oncoming traffic.
Benefits of High Visibility Clothing
- Makes workers highly visible– Hi-vis clothing differentiates wearers from the environment by making them highly visible to people around them. This protects workers from getting injured by oncoming traffic.
- Promote a safe environment– Providing a safe working environment for employees must be the top priority for any business firm. The productivity of a worker tends to increase when they feel safe at the job site. Thus, investing in high visibility clothing would benefit any business tremendously.
- Reduces risk of an accident– Most of the workplace accidents occur because of the incapability of the drivers to clearly see the onsite workers. Hi-vis clothing provides great visibility to vehicle operators, which automatically decreases the chances of accidents.
Factors to Consider Before Buying High Visibility Clothing
Buying the best & most suitable safety apparel is very important. One should not compromise on the quality of these safety wears. Below are some of the most significant factor that you must consider before purchasing hi-vis clothes.
Size & coverage
- Large & bright clothes are often more visible.
- For maximum visibility, use full-body coverage clothes.
- Do not wear other garments on these Hi-vis clothes.
- The garments should fit well to the worker for increased safety & best performance.
- These clothing must be comfortable to wear, and material should not feel rough on the skin.
- Make sure the clothing doesn’t have any sharp edges or projections which can cause excessive irritation.
- Hi-vis clothing must have a waist-level horizontal stripe or belt.
- The front part should have two vertical stripes passing over the shoulder to the waist.
- On the back, there should be symmetric X.
- To enhance the visibility of the worker’s body in motion, contrast stripes on arms & legs are helpful.
- The background material of these clothing must be in a bright color because only then it will provide high visibility.
- Bright colors provide more visibility in daylight conditions than dull colors.
- Make sure you choose fluorescent colors if you’re working in low light conditions.
- Retro-reflective clothing is often considered the best for working in dark conditions. Fluorescent materials are typically ineffective at night.
It is vital to ensure that you purchase high-quality, high-visibility clothing for your workers. Also, wear HV clothes that are specific for the job site and the type of work. This will enhance safety and productivity.
Employees’ safety should always be the top priority for any business. The use of high-visibility clothing plays an important in decreasing the possibility of injuries, the. High visibility vest allows workers to be seen in low-light conditions where the risk of getting injured is high.
High visibility vests come in various reflective & fluorescent bright colors specifically to be used during the day & at night. It is vital to choose the appropriate hi vis clothing that best suits the job environment and work conditions.
- Reflective vests are best for use in low light levels, i.e., they are best suited for night time work environments.
- Fluorescent vests are better suited for bright & daytime work environments.
In this article, we will see the benefits these hi vis vests provide and the components of high visibility clothing design which ensures worker’s safety.
Benefits of Hi-Vis Vest
- Ensure employees remain visible at all times– Hi vis vest makes it easier for your employees to be visible to others at the work station by making their regular clothing stand out from the background.
- Enables drivers to see workers– In roadside construction site or other areas where there is vehicle traffic, wearing the right high visibility vest reduces the risks of workers getting injured by oncoming traffic.
- Creates a safer working environment- Your employees tend to feel safer when they have access to high visibility clothing. This increased safety translates into increased productivity & better employee morale.
- Reduced likelihood of accidents- Accidents usually occurs due to incapability of the drivers to clearly see the onsite workers. This risk is reduced significantly by using the right hi vis vest as it provides great visibility to the vehicle operators.
Components of High-Visibility Design
High visibility vest is designed to be easily spotted. The human eye best responds to objects that are bright, large & moving. Because of this, hi vis vest has become important when it comes to workplace safety.
Importance of Color
These vest come in bright, attention-grabbing colors such as fluorescent yellow-green, orange-red, and red. These hi vis vests have strips of reflective material colored with white or silver. This material is very useful for workers working during night hours and in areas with low-visibility lighting. One of the most significant uses of high-visibility vests is it makes it easier for drivers to spot a worker on the road in construction zones. The location & configuration of the reflective material enables a person to know which way the wearer is standing – facing them, or with their back toward them. The reflective material typically provides 360-degree visibility and has horizontal gaps of 50mm or less.
The material of hi vis vests is very light in weight and easy for workers to maneuver in. These vests are typically made from the web or net-like mesh material. Mesh material is used because it adds a minimal amount of weight to a person and dries out easily when wet.
Other Customizable Safety Options
Hi vis vests also come in a variety of options which makes them more customizable. Depending upon the specific application, these vests can have a varying number of pockets & closures. These pockets can be both inside & out and can be designed for different purposes, such as holding cellphones, tablets, and drawings/blueprints. The closures on hi vis vests range from three different materials which include Velcro, zippers and breakaway designs.
Whether you’re working in an office or on a roadway, safety should be the topmost priority. Make sure to check your surroundings for any hazards which can harm you or others. Making sure to take all precautions in order to ensure the safety of employees; this will not just keep you safe but will also make a happier and better workplace.
The wearing of flame-resistant (FR) clothing is one of the most crucial factors for companies seeking to comply with industry safety regulations & voluntary performance standards. People working in hazardous work environments are prone to the risk of explosions or flash fire. Situations, where there’s a risk of explosion or flash fire most commonly, requires a form of Flame Resistant (FR) protective clothing. Moreover, workers can also experience an “arc flash;” this can directly or indirectly lead to a garment fire. Such fires often result in severe injury or even death.
The type of clothing one chooses to wear can play a huge role for people exposed to such incidences. Read on to understand why flame resistant clothing is important for people working in hazardous.
Works as Self-extinguishers or Resists Ignition
FR clothing typically protects workers by working as self-extinguishers for people when they’re exposed to flame. It reduces the extent of burn injuries as well as provides workers with valuable escape time. Most severe burn injuries are caused due to workers wearing non-FR clothing, which leads to igniting and continues to burn long after the heat source has been removed. By wearing Flame Resistant clothing, one can significantly prevent instances like these.
Reduces Severity of Injuries
Whenever there’s a fire or explosion, FR clothing dramatically reduces the severity of the injuries. However, it doesn’t completely eliminate the risk of burn injury. These Flame Resistant wear are designed to protect the wearer by enabling them to get away from the heat source. The fabric of this clothing serves as a barrier between the flash fire & skin of the wearer, which reduces the level of energy transmitted onto the skin surface.
The fabric of the FR clothing does not melt on the skin, which is usually seen when a worker is wearing clothing made of or blended with, synthetic materials. Also, in case of an arc flash incident, Flame Resistant clothing helps to mitigate the overall extent of the injury.
Complies with Industry Standards
Investing in FR clothing for your workers will not just protect your workers, but your company will also comply with State and Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards. According to these standards, employers are required to protect employees from hazards in the workplace. Compliance with these standards is vital for protecting your company’s safety record as well as for its financial bottom line. Without a proper Flame/fire Resistant program, you are more likely to get in trouble of sanctions and other penalties.
Improves Employees Morale & Productivity
The most crucial part of any job is a worker’s personal safety. When an employee feels that their company is taking measures to ensure its employees are protected, and their physical well-being is taken care of; it significantly boosts their motivation, which results in better performance. Employees working in hazardous work environments where no measures are taken for their safety tend to feel less motivated & less-efficient. This lost of productivity eventually cost employers loss of thousands of dollars.
Therefore, it is extremely important for employers, safety managers, and employees to understand that Flame Resistant clothing wear serves as the last line of defense for end-users in case of flash fires & explosions. However, careful consideration is required to ensure that you choose appropriate flame resistant clothing which is suitable for the type of activities conducted by the workers.